Thursday, July 23, 2009

I recently re-discovered why I LOVE the Binder Park Zoo. We used to go quite a bit when I was a kid since it was so close to my aunt and uncles house. So 2 weekends ago when it was super nice out and Matt and I were deciding what to do with the boys for the day (especially since staying in the house was NOT an option) we picked the zoo. After a few phone calls to the grandparents and my family who still live near the zoo we were set. Off we went, packed into the van with my parents and anticipating a day of fun. After meeting up with Uncle Mark, Aunt Marilyn and our personal zoo tour guide Jessica (aka my cousin) we first had a great picnic lunch. Much like the ones I remember sharing with my grandparents as a kid and I'm so glad we are creating those moments for our boys. Once our lunch was finished we loaded the boys into the stroller and headed into the zoo.


One of the reasons that I love the Binder Park Zoo is that it is mostly in the shade. They have worked really hard to blend into the existing landscape which means there are lots of trees for shade, especially in the Africa area. Which is where the boys got to "feed" the giraffes with Grandpa.


They seemed to enjoy it even though they were getting super tired by the end of the day. It was neat though. In addition to the giraffes, we saw zebra, african wild dogs, snow leopards, monkeys and wolves. We had an enjoyable day and I can't wait to take the boys back when they are a little older. I'm sure they'll enjoy it more once they can actually walk around and try to touch everything......and eat their own ice cream cone.

James with Grandpa



Jack with Jessica

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can still remember the day we went to the zoo. The kids still remember feeding the giraffes. I know the boys will have great memories as they grow up of going to the zoo, especially that one because it is so nice, I think it's about the nicest zoo I've ever been to.