Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Early Mornings

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the boys like to be up so early in the mornings. Today it started around 5am. I could hear Jack talking to himself and pretty soon I could hear him throwing his stuffed animals out of his crib. I knew what would come next. His precious penguin would hit the floor and he would scream when he realized he couldn't get it back. And that is exactly what happened. I plugged my ears and put the pillow over my head to try to block out the screaming, knowing full well that I would have to go in there and "rescue" the thing off the floor. Except as soon as I walked into their room, James was awake too and they both wanted to be picked up. I got them both out of their cribs and crawled back into bed with them. It was 6am.

Jack managed to cuddle with me for about 15 minutes before realizing that he had been suckered into laying back down. James on the other hand wanted to talk and talk and kick Matt and his brother. It was sweet while they were trying to hold hands, but I would have much preferred they closed their eyes for a few more minutes. By then Matt had moved to a sitting position so that he could try to contain Jack from crawling off the bed.....it's a long way to the floor! Then Jack decided that a fun thing to do in the morning is pretend to love on your brother and as soon as he lets his guard down, hit him in the face. James hasn't figured out yet to move out of the way or fight back so he just stayed there and took it. He thought it was funny and was laughing though so it must not bother him too much. By 6:20 I needed to start getting them and myself ready for the day. Brushing my hair and teeth and rushing to get dressed takes me less than 10 minutes most days. I miss those mornings where I could take a 20 min. shower and actually dry my hair before leaving the house. If I get a shower in the morning now it has to be as quick as possible so that the screaming doesn't get out of control. I changed 2 diapers (thankfully not poopy) and checked the weather for today. HOT. Hot for this summer anyway, if we hit 90 degrees it will only be like the second or third time this summer, but it was already humid sticky at 6:30 in the morning. The boys do seem to like to watch doppler radar and since Matt was playing with them, it went fairly smooth this morning. They brushed their teeth without a fuss and even gave up their toothbrushes afterwards without a fight which is unusual.
They got dressed in coordinating rompers (blue with an octopus and green with a gecko) and we all traipsed downstairs. It's nice in the mornings when Matt is able to get up with us because he can carry one baby down for me. This morning he had Jack while I got James into the car. Then my second trip to the car with Jack and shockingly it only took 2 trips to the car this morning and we were on our way.

I pulled into daycare right on time (which means 10 minutes earlier than I normally get there) after a total of 3 minutes in the car with James "singing" along to the radio and Jack "dancing" while fussing about being in his car seat. 1.2 miles is soooo far to ride you know. Terrie came out to meet me and we got the boys out of the car and inside. While we were pulling in her driveway I noticed that the temp said 66 degrees, but it was so sticky it felt warmer than that already. At least I know the boys will be happy cause they'll get to play in their diaper all day to stay cool, which means I will have 2 very dirty babies who will need a bath when I get home.

No comments: